12 Months Out

When preparing for a competition, it becomes a count down until show day. Even though I'm not competing until next spring, I think about it every single day. Multiple times a day. And when I'm not day dreaming about it, I'm actually dreaming about it. At least once a week I dream about being on stage. It's been this way since I stepped off stage in September. Saying I'm excited to compete again doesn't do it justice. But in the same vein, I want to improve my physique, I want to build a better package, and I want to be even more competitive the next time that I do step on stage. I'm putting in the work to really build my body, and it makes it easier to wait knowing that I'm doing what it takes to improve.

So even though I won't be competing for another year, I figured I might as well start the count down. (Might be fun.) So here it is, 12 months out.

12 months out, LOL

When dieting, the physical changes are exciting. You can see more cuts, lines, separation, and muscles peaking the leaner you get, which makes it fun to post pictures and updates. When bulking, you see less and less cuts, lines, and separation. But strength is up, so I'll keep my focus there. (Conscious transition from aesthetic-based goals to performance-based goals.)

Set some new PR's since the mini cut ended. I was squatting 135 lbs. for sets of 3 and 4 before/during the mini cut. I hit a rep PR for 5 reps of 135 lbs. yesterday (4/20/14) and am ready to add some more weight to the bar next time. For so long I wanted to get my squat up to 135 lbs. because I thought it looked so cool to have 45 lb. plates on each side of the barbell. (LOL, I know...) I sometimes felt like I would never get there, but here I am ready to add more weight. I also hit dumbbell bicep curls with the 30's for the first time last week (4/12/14). Hit it again this weekend (4/19/14), and been getting between 4-6 reps each arm. They're damn heavy for me, but it's fun to push myself. (I'm 5 feet tall and hovering around 117 lbs. These weights are challenging for me.)

I'm really enjoying my strength days. I'm really enjoying my hypertrophy days. I'm really enjoying all of my training. It's my favorite part of my day. Even though competing again is the goal, it's not the ultimate destination. This isn't about a destination, but about the journey. It's about becoming better than the person I was yesterday, and that's what makes me love this process.

dumbbell bicep curls... with the 30's :)
So that's what I'm up to at 12 months out. Looking forward to counting down the next 12 months while enjoying every step of the journey. 

Comments

Popular Posts