How's Prep Going?

I get asked a lot, "What's new?" and, "How's prep going?" Honestly, I really don't have much to say in response, except for, "It's going well," and, "I'm really excited!" When I reflect week to week, not much is truly new. Even though I post a lot about #preplife, it's not at all entirely different than my regular life or life when I'm not in prep. I do the same things, and I have the same routine. I'm a creature of habit, and my comfortable and totally predictable routine makes me happy. 

In a nutshell...
I wake up, have some coffee or don't have some coffee. Maybe have coffee later. I eat breakfast or I wait awhile and get distracted doing things around the apartment. I meet my clients at the studio and help them get a solid training session in. I work on client emails, texts, training plans, nutritional adjustments, etc. I eat some more. I walk the dogs around the hood and listen to a podcast or an audiobook. If it's a training day for me, I head to the gym and lift. Here's the biggest change: when I'm in prep, I'll likely have some cardio to do... in that case, I'll do my cardio. If it's a rest day, I may or may not do cardio. I'll do some foam rolling, lacrosse ball work, stretching, and posing. I eat again, and depending on the day, there may be lots of delicious carbs. Sometimes the dogs get a 2nd walk, and sometimes it's to the park. (Their favorite!) At some point, I take a shower, I get my life together for the next day, I likely eat again, and I get ready for bed. Reed and I will watch a movie, or read, or listen to a podcast. I'll snuggle with the dogs and fall asleep.

Somewhere in there, I've likely scrolled through Instagram and/or Facebook. I usually get lost in time reading some good articles, research reviews, trying to learn something new, or writing. I usually call my mom while I'm driving home and chat with her a bit. Every few days, I end up running to the grocery store. There's some light housework in there, you know, cooking, doing dishes, doing laundry, and cleaning. Every once in a while, we'll go to a movie. Occasionally, I'll see some friends and we'll catch up over coffee or a workout. I've gone to one posing class so far, and as competitions get closer, I'll be more regular.

That's it, and for me, it's perfect. As you can see, I don't "do" a whole lot. Each day is totally different, but my overall structure is still there. This is a life I enjoy very much. Although bodybuilding is a big part of my life, it's not my entire life, and prep certainly doesn't consume me. I think that's why I enjoy bodybuilding so much, because there's joy in the entire process and the entire journey, not just in the destination.

So how's prep going? It's going great. Each day is good. Each day I do what's needed. Not every day is easy, nor should it be. I give myself rest and flexibility when needed, but I don't make excuses. This is probably my biggest strength in bodybuilding and my biggest asset as a competitor, is my commitment to working hard and executing the plan. You won't find me over my macros, half assing my workouts, or skipping my cardio. It doesn't happen. It's not because I'm crazy, miserably strict, but because I *choose* this journey, and I *get to* pursue these goals. This is the mindset that comes with passion. :)

Comments

Popular Posts