Improvement Season Transition

I've officially decided to transition into an improvement season. I will no longer be doing the Oregon State Bodybuilding show at the end of the month, and as much as I was looking forward to it, I know the decision to step out is good for me.

After already skipping out on two other shows this season, I felt like I really needed to do one more. (What can I say? It's addicting!) I was starting to put pressure of myself because I committed to this competition, and I didn't want to let anyone down. Pulling out was good reminder that my friends and family only want what's good for me.

I've been actively dieting for 8 months (although I will say the last month or so has been more of a limbo), and it's ok to be tired of it. Dieting is basically controlled starvation, and it WILL be uncomfortable at times. There's nothing wrong with being tired and saying, "Ok, I'm done." Don't get me wrong, I'm not promoting an attitude of giving up just because things get tough. For me, I had a great competition season, and I'm perfectly ok with ending it here. I'm also looking out for my best interests and protecting the pieces of balance that I've worked for so hard for. I've talked before about my struggles with food and my challenges in being body positive. A healthy relationship with food and a healthy relationship with my body is my number one priority. I was catching myself becoming very food-focused, physically very hungry, and mentally very hungry. My balance was feeling threatened, and I will 100% protect that. I am not at all about to risk the progress and balance that I've found in my life.

I'm a huge believer in the importance of feeling a sense of autonomy in our decisions. As soon as my decisions don't feel like my own, I become very stressed. I won't put imaginary pressure on myself to do something that I know is not ultimately the best choice for myself. So here I am, transitioning into an improvement season. I would like to compete this fall, and my improvement season will be based on that goal, but if anything comes up where my balance and happiness starts to feel threatened or my autonomy is feeling threatened, I will happily change paths. :)

Now let's chase some gainz!



Comments

Popular Posts