What's New Lately

Eeeeeek! I can't believe how fast time is flying by. Seriously, I can't believe I'm 2 weeks out from my first comp of the season.

These last few weeks have been busy but oh so good. The biggest news is that I quit my job (!!!) and incorporated my own LLC. I can't believe I'm an entrepreneur starting my own small training business. Even writing that last sentence, it doesn't seem real. I've spent so much time wondering if I'll ever get it together. I'm in no way saying that I have it figured out (far from it), but things just feel RIGHT. I floundered around in college, applied to grad school because I didn't know what to do after graduation, earned my master's degree in education, and still didn't quite know what to do with my life. I'm lucky that I've figured out 2 things that I do enjoy -- working with children in education and working with clients in personal training. Applying to education jobs, I always felt under-valued, and every job I was turned down for was extremely disheartening. Training feels different because I know I have the passion for it. I sometimes feel like I'm at a disadvantage because I don't have a degree in exercise science or kinesiology or something related, but every single day I'm learning and improving and growing. I'm very much a student of the sport. I absolutely love it, and that's what matters to me.

I'm training out of Vive Fitness, located in NE Portland. If anyone is interested in training (in person or online), please contact me. :)

So that was an unexpected but totally welcome surprise in the last few weeks. Life is full of surprises and opportunities. Prep should not be so life-consuming that living gets put on hold. I firmly believe that at the end of the day, bodybuilding should add value to your life, not take away from it.

I had my first posing practice with IFBB bikini pro Laurin Conlin 2 weeks ago. She is so sweet and so helpful. And OMG have I been so sore after practicing. I don't naturally have a pelvic tilt, and standing butt-out chest-up is not a natural position for me. I was sore literally everywhere the first few days, from my back, to my shoulders, even to my ankles from wearing my heels. (I hadn't worn anything but Nikes in literally months.) I've been practicing almost every day, trying to become more comfortable and natural with the movements. I'll probably always be nervous when it comes to getting on stage (I felt that way with cheerleading; I was always nervous before every performance and every game), but I'm looking forward to all the practice that I can get.

Tomorrow I'm going to my first in-person posing practice with a local posing group here in Portland. I've always been sort of a lone-wolf and have never really done anything with the bodybuilding community. A girl from the gym told me about the posing class, and she will be there, so I'll know at least one person. I'm really excited to meet new people, too. I love meeting and talking with people who are into bodybuilding as you just sort of "click" with one another.

My other big news is that I had my first photo shoot with Nixon Photography. Brandon has a great eye for detail and is fun and laid back. We shot at Vive last Sunday night. I didn't do anything special to get ready for the shoot. I had a re-feed Friday, but that was it. If you've followed me for a while, you know that I don't do any sort of water manipulation or sodium or potassium manipulation. I just keep things simple. Seeing myself in photographs has been surprisingly helpful in assessing my physique. Yes, it's easy to look at yourself and pick apart your flaws, but I think it's important to recognize your strengths as well. These pics are from last weekend (3 weeks out), and I'm happy with where things are at. The biggest thing I'd like to work on is my modeling face... I have the stare of death is some of the pics! I got a little too Tyra Banks-y trying to put the intensity in my eyes. LOL. I'll be practicing my angles and smiles. ;)

Here's a few of my favorites from the shoot. Photo credit to Nixon Photography.








For my friends in the northwest, Brandon will be around at some of the local shows. Don't hesitate to schedule some time with him! You'll want to remember your hard work forever. I said this on Facebook, and I'll say it again: don't leave it up to selfies and Instagram filters to showcase your physique. Get professional photos taken.

So that's what I've been up to the last few weeks. Some big changes, some risks, some adventures, and some new experiences. I'll post a more prep-related update soon.

Comments

Popular Posts